We’re really excited to launch Samsung ARTIK Cloud, Samsung’s commercial IoT platform to deliver interoperability between devices and applications. Samsung ARTIK Cloud is an open data exchange platform that provides easy-to-use, open APIs and tools to securely collect, store, and act on any data from any connected device or cloud service. Using these APIs and tools, you can quickly bring new Internet of Things solutions and services to market, tap into new revenue streams, and grow your business. ARTIK Cloud is commercially available today with a tiered pricing model and you can start using it for free at artik.cloud.
ARTIK Cloud, along with the ARTIK family of highly integrated IoT modules, enables faster and simpler development of new enterprise, industrial, and consumer applications. Together, the ARTIK modules and ARTIK Cloud comprise an open platform that includes a best-in-class family of integrated production-ready modules, advanced software, development boards, drivers, tools, security features, and cloud.
Young Sohn, President & Chief Strategy Officer, Samsung Electronics explains why ARTIK Cloud is special:
Unlike many other IoT cloud platforms, ARTIK Cloud breaks down data siloes between devices and enables a new class of IoT applications and services. The launch of this exciting new platform not only signals Samsung’s foray into the cloud services market but reinforces our belief that, by creating powerful open platforms, we can harness the information generated by IoT to develop new insights and new approaches to address the major global challenges of today and tomorrow.
B.K. Yoon, CEO of Samsung Electronics explains why ARTIK Cloud is an important milestone for Samsung:
As more and more consumer IoT devices are created and brought to market, the need for interoperability becomes paramount as it is the key to creating more compelling and integrated experiences. The need for an open cloud solution that can work with any connected device, and with other cloud services is critical for broader consumer adoption. The launch of ARTIK Cloud is extremely exciting because it promises to not only help Samsung connect our diverse portfolio of products, but also enable other companies to participate in a growing IoT ecosystem.
Companies face numerous challenges in IoT, such as collecting data from a diverse set of devices using a variety of protocols; enabling legacy, new, and third-party devices and cloud services to interact with each other with minimal effort; storing data from siloed devices in a single location and deriving meaningful insights from it; managing data security and privacy; and providing developers with easy-to-use APIs and tools.
ARTIK Cloud is poised to address these challenges, being focused on interoperability with connected devices as well as other cloud services. Our goal is to enable companies to participate in a growing IoT ecosystem.
How ARTIK Cloud empowers developers and enterprise customers
ARTIK Cloud makes it extremely easy to connect all devices, whether they are powered by ARTIK modules or by other modules. The platform is highly scalable, with an architecture designed to support the billions of IoT devices expected in the next few years, while keeping latency low to enable fast interactions.
Here are some of ARTIK Cloud’s key features:
Device and Data Interoperability: Easily enable devices to communicate with other devices or cloud services.
- Device Manifests: Rapidly onboard any device using a universal language to describe device states and actions.
- Multi-Protocol Connectors: Connect any device to the cloud using multiple protocols – REST/HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP.
- Cloud Connectors: Connect to any cloud service and collect data from it.
- Heterogeneous Data Collection: Collect any data (continuous, discrete, real-time, or historical) from any device or third-party cloud.
- Two Way Communication: Securely exchange messages between device and cloud, even on low-power devices such as wearables and end-node sensors.
- Data Normalization and Analytics: Gain fast access to data, statistics, and aggregations with multiple backends to store, replicate, and index data.
Security & Privacy: Secure device, app, and user interactions and protect data privacy.
- Secure Device Registration: Securely connect devices to the cloud using TLS, secure element, and certificates issued by a trusted certificate authority.
- Authentication and Authorization: Secure every device, app, and user interaction with open internet standards based authentication (OAuth2).
- Privacy Management: Protect data privacy with built-in identity and permissions management.
Developer Tools: Empower developers to build new IoT apps using easy-to-use, open APIs, SDKs, and tools.
- Universal Data Access APIs: Collect, and query data from disparate devices using easy-to-use, open APIs.
- Rules Engine: Easily trigger cross-device actions and alerts with a powerful built in rules engine.
- Visualization Tools: Visualize data from disparate devices in context.
- Developer Portal: Increase your productivity with self-service access to rich API documentation, API Console, blogs, sample applications, forums, and more.
- API-first: Manage and extend platform entities using built-in REST APIs.
Start using ARTIK Cloud now
Any company – enterprises, start-ups, device makers, IoT operators, and developers – can initially start using ARTIK Cloud for free by visiting artik.cloud. Using simple pay-as-you-go tiered pricing, you can upgrade to the tier of service that’s right for you.
We are currently working with select enterprise customers such as Legrand, a global leader in electrical and digital building infrastructures, as well as developers such as Digibe Software, which delivers products for the industrial internet helping customers optimize assets and connect data from machines, databases and people in meaningful ways. If you would like enterprise pricing, please contact us at artik.cloud/pricing.
Finally, stay tuned for many more updates and announcements to come on this blog. We are only getting started!